Ahh. That cold wintery weather is rapidly approaching. No more having to worry about damaging your hair, right? Wrong! Surprisingly, the cold weather can be just as hazardous to your hair. The dry indoor heat and the dry cold outside temperatures can make your hair brittle and weak. Be sure to take extra care of your hair this time of the year and follow these simple preventive steps.
First, wear a hat and scarf when going outside. This will help protect your hair from the elements. Just make sure the hat isn’t too tight so as to restrict the circulation in your scalp!
- Don’t forget the conditioner. Use a conditioner every time you wash your hair to keep your hair healthy. Lock in the moisture by rinsing your hair with cold water.
- Don’t go outside with wet hair. Otherwise, your hair can freeze and break in those cold temperatures.
- Use warm water to shower and wash your hair. Using hot water can dry out both your skin and your hair.
- Try to limit your usage of items such as blow dryers or curling irons. If you must use them, use a leave-in conditioner beforehand.
- If the dry weather causes your hair to develop static and become fly-away, try using a little hair spray first and use a wide-tooth comb.
- Read the labels of your hair products. Watch out for those containing alcohol.
- Consider using a dry shampoo on occasion.
By following these tips, you can keep your hair healthy and shiny all year long, no matter what the weather! And if your hair does start to get a little wear and tear, stop by Hairoics, the number one Outer Banks hair salon!