Winter tends to be a rough time of year for hair. People get busy, or it’s really cold out and they don’t want to go out as much, or whatever the reason, they don’t take care of their hair like they should. So that got me thinking about all the ways to prevent damaging your hair. Your hair can handle a lot, but it still needs some help if you want to keep it looking fabulous.
So here are a variety of tips, to help you keep your hair beautiful even when you’re on the go.
- To minimize breakage, make sure that your hair is thoroughly wet before applying shampoo. Use no more than a quarter-size dollop, and rub the shampoo between your palms first. Lather for no more than 30 seconds.
- A healthy lifestyle will mean healthier hair for you. Excessive stress, smoking, not exercising and not eating nutritiously are not healthy for your hair.
- Inactive oil glands can cause dry hair. If you have dry hair as a result of dry skin, consider washing your hair fewer times each week (every two or three days).
- Avoid using a brush on wet hair because it is subject to breakage. Comb out snarls, or even better, use your fingers.
- Dull, lifeless hair can be a sign of a poor diet. Try cutting down on cholesterol and fats.
- Wait at least 48 hours after coloring hair to shampoo it. Every time you wet hair you open the cuticle — so give hair time to seal in the color.
- Both guys and girls should get their hair trimmed regularly. Even if you are growing out your hair, get a trim at least once every two months (some recommend every six weeks)
- Multiple-braid styles can look great. But do not over-twist or over-tighten braided hair. This can apply too much pressure to the hair roots and skin.
Hopefully your hair will maintain its beauty throughout every season. But if you are having problems, then a trip to your favorite hair salon on the Outer Banks is in order. Because we’d love to see you!